August, 2016 - "California Droolin" BarkBox Box
The August BarkBox theme is “California Droolin”. By this, BarkBox wants you to imagine you are a fancy upper-class Golden Retriever living the dream in Cali. When you first open the box, it may be a bit confusing as to what the actual theme is. (BarkBox typically is very clear with their monthly theme). However, if you are confused at all, be sure to check out the “magazine” brochure BarkBox includes ……. BECAUSE BRUCE WAYNE IS ON THE BACK! :-) This is the first time we’ve been included on their BarkBox informational insert, so we are so super excited and thankful!
Onto the review.
The toys in the August BarkBox are:
- Surfs Up Sam - (retail value $14.00) This toy is obviously made to look like what you’d think of when you think “California surfer”. The best part of this toy for Bruce Wayne is his hair! Bruce Wayne loves toys that have a lot of hair he can try to rip out. While it’s a nightmare for me, it brings him so much joy. This is definitely the item in the box that I noticed first, as it’s a fairly big head for a small dog toy, lol. The coolest part about this toy is that his head is made of recycled water bottles! Bruce Wayne loves to chew on water bottles, so if he was able to get his little Chi-Chi mouth around this toy, I know he’d have a blast. Sadly, it’s just too big for him to actually chew on though (you can see him try in his “first impressions” video below). Within the head are corn starch based beads, which makes for fun noises when you roll it around.
- Fist Taco - (retail value $8.00) What a perfect sized toy for Bruce Wayne! :-) This little fish taco has a squeaker inside and a rubber fish that sticks out. BarkBox claims that if your dog destroys the outer taco layer, he/she will find the rubber fish body inside! What a cool little surprise, however, I can guarantee that Bruce Wayne will not make it to that point, as he’s not a very powerful chewer. The taco shell itself is extremely soft. Is it bad that when I saw this toy, I thought that if the head of the fish was a little stronger, it would make for a great beer bottle opener? Lol.
The treats in the August BarkBox are:
- Crumps Naturals - ($8.00 for 1.9 oz.) I’m so excited for these treats! They are single ingredient beef lung treats, which Bruce Wayne is a sucker for beef! I’d say it is his favorite protein. They are crunchy, thick sticks, so if you have a small dog too, you will have to break them into pieces, which isn’t hard.
- The Lazy Dog Cookie Company Baja Fish Biscuits - (retail value $7.00 for 5.0 oz.) You may be wondering why these treats are $1.00 cheaper than the previous treats when you get more in this package. As I always say, you pay more for what you keep out. These treats are a crunchy, bone shaped treat. They are a good small size, but still a little too big for Bruce Wayne, so I’d have to break them in half (which I’m used to doing with almost all his treats). While these treats only have 6 ingredients, my concern is that the first two are oat flour and brown rice syrup. If I give Bruce Wayne treats with multiple ingredients, I like the first ingredient to be a protein or veggie. I’m on the fence with these, so if you’ve ever given them to your pup, I’d love to hear your thoughts.
- Butcher’s Block Pet Treats Beef Knee Cap - (retail value $3.99) Oh my goodness. At first glance and looking at this, it’s a bit creepy. But from a dog's point of view, it’s probably heavenly. I know dogs go crazy for these kinds of chews. Being that Bruce Wayne has enlarged tonsils, unfortunately, he cannot chew on this, as it is quite large and hard.
The extra/accessory in the August BarkBox is:
- Pups Weekly “Magazine” - (retail value $priceless) Ok, this isn’t really an extra or accessory, but it features Bruce Wayne! :-) BarkBox always provides a brochure or some kind of pamphlet that discusses the theme for that month, along with ways to reorder any products your pup especially liked from the box. Normally, we don’t highlight these because they are always included and not an actual toy, but as if you didn’t already know ….. Bruce Wayne is on the back! I couldn’t be any happier to see my fur baby featured with other amazing dogs that are friends of ours, such as @scruffy_in_seattle.
Estimated Value of the August BarkBox Box: $40.99
Overall Opinion: I’m definitely being a bit biased with this box since BarkBox put my baby’s photo on their informational pamphlet, lol. :-) That aside, I loved the box. The toys are a big hit with Bruce Wayne. He absolutely loves toys with lots of hair and will surely get lots of playtime fun out of the surfer head. Also, the taco toy is the perfect size for him. While I wasn’t a huge fan of the treats for Bruce Wayne, the fact that we did get a single ingredient treat makes up for any disappointment! Overall, the box is great for Bruce Wayne and I think other dogs will love it just as much!
B-DUBS VERDICT: Bruce Wayne gives the August BarkBox 4 out of 4 grinch paws! (duh, he loves being featured ;-) lol)
Deals/Coupon Codes: If you'd like to try a BarkBox subscription, use code BRUCE for free shipping and a free $10 credit to the BarkShop. (BarkBox can be ordered from www.barkbox.com/brucewayne or simply click on any of the photos in this post) If there's a particular toy or treat you'd like to order from www.barkshop.com, you can use code BRUCE on any order of $10 or more for a free steer stick added to your order. Happy shopping!
*The Fine Print* - BarkBox sends toys and treats based on your dog's size at the time you sign up for a subscription or single box and even if you have the same size dog as me, you may have received different products (same theme though) than Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne is an affiliate for BarkBox and receives a free box, however, these are solely my honest opinions of this month's box based on Bruce Wayne's size and preference.