June, 2016 - "The Grrrreat Outdoors" BarkBox
The theme for June’s BarkBox is “The Grrrreat Outdoors”. This theme is super adorable and appropriate for the summer months.
The Toys in the June BarkBox are:
- The Pan-Demonium Plushie - (retail value $10.00) This was the first item in the BarkBox that caught our eye. It’s so fabulously adorable and fun. As you can see, the black “frying pan” has an egg and bacon in it. The pan itself measures about 6 inches wide and 12 inches in length, which is almost the length of Bruce Wayne so for a small toy, it’s quite large. While I love this toy, Bruce Wayne, well, not so much, lol. (You can see his “first impression” in the video below.) The pan contains both a squeaker and crinkle material, however the pan is quite hard to squeak and Bruce Wayne has yet to be able to find the squeaker. Also, a big disappointment is that the bacon and egg do not come out of the pan. It would have been perfect if they were able to come out, but instead they are sewn onto the pan.
- Panda’s Pocket Knife - (retail value $12.00) This “pocket knife” is definitely a lot smaller in size than the frying pan and wrapped in ballistic nylon. If you are unfamiliar with this nylon, it’s a rough texture, perfect for rough and tough chewers. There is no stuffing however, the large red part of the knife does squeak. The only problem is that it is quite thick and hard, so Bruce Wayne hasn’t been able to squeak this one yet either, lol. The utility features on this knife are quite flexible and have been fun for Bruce Wayne to chew on rather than the body of the pocket knife.
The treats in the June BarkBox are:
- Lazy Dog Mutt Mallows - (retail value $8.00 for 5 oz.) These treats are actually quite big, so if you have a small dog like Bruce Wayne, you’ll definitely have to break these up. They are a crunchy treat, so they are fairly easy to break into pieces. These are wheat, corn and soy free, which always makes me happy. The “flavor” is roasted vanilla, which I will be interested to give Bruce Wayne as he’s never had a vanilla flavored treat.
- Bison Cookout Cookies - (retail value $6.00 for 5.5 oz.) First off, this bag is so smooth!! I don’t know what kind of material the packaging is made of, but it makes you feel like the cookies are even more luxurious than they are, lol. (I’m always a sucker for packaging.) These treats are a soft-chew grain free, bison treat. While they are small treats, I still would have to break them into pieces for Bruce Wayne since I always worry about choking. I’ll probably pass these treats to Bruce Wayne’s crazy Uncle Patches (a JRT). While there are no glaring “bad ingredients”, these treats are made of 14 ingredients, which includes salt.
- Wonderfowl Duck Chew - (retail value $3.00 for 7 inches) Even though the label doesn’t say, I believe this is the same kind of chew that BarkBox usually sends made by “Etta Says”. BarkBox often sends a chew like this so it must be popular with lots of dogs. Personally, I do not give these to Bruce Wayne since he’s quite small and has had throat issues in the past. Also, Bruce Wayne doesn’t chew his treats very well. He often tries to swallow them whole then ends up coughing. I’m always paranoid of him choking on one of these sticks. (Again, just a personal preference not to give it to him). This particular duck chew is quite thick so I’m sure it will give dogs a lot of happiness chewing away on it.
Estimate Value of June’s BarkBox: $39.00
Overall Opinion: Yet again, BarkBox kills it with their theme! Not only does BarkBox pick appropriate themes for the time of year, but they have toys made to fit their theme perfectly. In their card brochure they include, they mention Yosemite, which warmed our heart since we were lucky enough to visit Yosemite last year. While the frying pan is too big for Bruce Wayne, I’m sure it will make for fun photos. Even when the box may not be perfect for Bruce Wayne (he’s very particular), BarkBox always impresses us with their creativity and pursuit of happiness for all dogs!
B-DUBS VERDICT: Bruce Wayne gives the June BarkBox 2 out of 4 grinchy paws. (Only 1 toy was size appropriate for him and he only got to try one of the treat bags because he has a stingy mother)Again, this verdict is solely based on BRUCE WAYNE’s preference of the box.
Deals/Coupon Codes: If you'd like to try a BarkBox subscription, use code BRUCE for free shipping and a free $10 credit to the BarkShop. (BarkBox can be ordered from www.barkbox.com/brucewayne or simply click on first photo in this post.) If there's a particular toy or treat you'd like to order from www.barkshop.com (or by clicking on any of the item photos above), you can use code BRUCE on any order of $10 or more for a free steer stick added to your order. Happy shopping!
*The Fine Print* - BarkBox sends toys and treats based on your dog's size at the time you sign up for a subscription or single box and even if you have the same size dog as me, you may have received different products (same theme though) than Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne is an affiliate for BarkBox and receives a free box, however, these are solely my honest opinions of this month's box based on Bruce Wayne's size and preference.